Sagarmatha Sambaad Forum
- According to Nepal’s Foreign Ministry, issues of global, regional and national importance will be discussed in the Sagarmatha Sambad Forum.
- The theme / theme of the forum will be ‘Climate Change, Mountains and the Future of the Humanity’.
- All leaders of SAARC (SAARC) countries including the current Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan have been invited to the event.
- The main objective of this ‘Sambad’ is to build a consensus among themselves to promote the strong will of political leaders to tackle the climate crisis and its side effects. The SAARC countries include Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
- SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation-SAARC) is an economic and political organization of eight countries in South Asia.
- The group includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. SAARC had seven members before 2007, with Afghanistan becoming its eighth member at the 14th SAARC Summit in April 2007.
- SAARC was established on 8 December 1985 and is headquartered in Kathmandu (Nepal). The first SAARC Conference was held in Dhaka in December 1985.
- SAARC Day is observed every year on 8 December. The organization is governed by the Secretary-General appointed by the Council of Ministers of the member countries, who are appointed according to the alphabetical order of the countries for three years.
Naming of Sagarmatha Sambad
It is named after the world’s tallest mountain Sagarmatha (Mount Everest), which symbolizes friendship and aims to promote the notion of the interest of humanity.
- Sambad was established in the year 2019 as a permanent global platform. It is headquartered in Kathmandu (Nepal).
- Sambad is a joint collaborative initiative of Nepal’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Institute of Foreign Affairs (IFA) and Policy Research Institute (PRI).
Key features of Sambad
Sagarmatha Sambad is a multi-stakeholder dialogue platform committed to discussing the foremost issues of global, regional and national importance. As a platform, it brings together people from all walks of society, connected across broad dimensions, who bring positive change in society as well as have better influence and potential.