The 10th National Voters Day-NVD was observed across the country on 25 January 2020.
Theme: The theme of the 10th National Voters’ Day is’ Electoral Literacy for Strong Democracy ‘.
The National Voters Day
- President of India Ram Nath Kovind was the chief guest at the national function organized by the Election Commission.
- This year marks an important milestone in the history of Indian democracy as the Election Commission of India has completed its 70-year journey this year.
- On this occasion, the Election Commission of India launched a magazine called Belief in the Ballot-2 in Ballot-2. This magazine has compiled 101 human stories from around the country about Indian elections.
- Its first copy was presented to the President by the Election Commission.
- A booklet titled ‘The Centenarian Voters: Sentinels of Democracy’ was also released by the President on the occasion which contains 51 stories of veteran voters across the country who have inaccessible areas, poor health and others. Voted despite challenges.
The Election Commission of India was formed on 25 January 1950. The Government of India started celebrating ’25 January’ as’ National Voters’ Day ‘from the year 2011 on the foundation day of the Election Commission to increase the participation of youth in the political process.
- The purpose of the Election Commission is to create more voters, especially new voters, behind celebrating ‘National Voters’ Day’.
- On this day, awareness is disseminated to ensure the participation of voters in the voting process.