On 24 January 2020, on the occasion of National Girl Child Day, the Ministry of Women and Child Development announced the formation of 10 benches in different universities of the country in various fields.
It aims to encourage women in research activities.
- The initiative has been named ‘Establishment of Chairs in Universities’.
- Under this, benches will be established in the name of famous women in the fields of administration, arts, science and social reform.
- Apart from this, the objective of this initiative is to inspire the girls and women of the country to attain higher education.
- For this, University Grants Commission- UGC will provide financial support.
- Under this, a financial proposal of Rs 50 lakh per year has been proposed.
- According to the UGC guidelines, the benches will be set up initially for 5 years.
The main function of the Chairs is to involve research in academic activities and strengthen the role of universities / academic institutions in public policy making.
Preparation and implementation of short-term capacity building program for teachers in higher education.
Universities will review the bench’s progress at an annual level and after 5 years will submit a final report on the activities and results of the bench to the UGC.
In addition, the UGC may conduct a review at any level regarding the upholding of the bench.